Did you know that your beauty and personal care products are full of harmful toxins that are damaging your body? Do you suffer from headaches, hair loss, anxiety, depression, sleep issues, asthma, or cancer? These may be caused by the chemicals you are using on a daily basis.
The Truth About Chemicals
“Almost half of all Americans are now living with chronic diseases and conditions related to toxic chemical exposures, which now account for 70% of deaths and 75% of US health care costs.” –Sabina DaVita
The average woman applies over 600 chemicals to her body a day just through soap, shampoo, makeup, lotions, deodorant and other beauty products. These chemicals are hormone disrupting, neurotoxic, cancer causing chemicals! Some are even banned in other countries but are still allowed in the United States. Why? Because making a lotion with chemicals is cheaper than making a lotion with plant based, natural ingredients.
A Little Anatomy
Our skin is our largest organ. It absorbs almost everything you put on it. Dish soap, lotion, makeup, you name it! It’s in your bloodstream, traveling through your system. Many chemicals even stay in the system and can cause weight gain and continues health issues. The average woman absorbs 5 pounds of chemicals from makeup alone in one year! 5 pounds! (Sabini DeVita in “Saving Face” page 23)
Another way chemicals get into our bodies is through breathing them in. Have you ever felt light headed when painting your nails or applying hair spray? Is it really worth looking good for the sake of your brain?
Most Dangerous Chemicals in Your Beauty Products
Most of the following information is taken from “Saving Face” by Sabina DaVita. It is a great read if you are serious about removing chemicals from your beauty routine.
- Sodium Laurel (Lauryl) Sulfate (SLS) – This chemical causes a foaming action in your shampoo and soap. It may cause inflammation, mimic estrogen, cause hair loss and “build up in the heart, liver, lungs, and brain.” What?! It also causes eye issues in children and adults (like cataracts). It slows down hair growth (and this stuff is in shampoo?). Since using natural shampoo my hair has grown like wildfire!!
- Propylene Glycol – is used in antifreeze, brake fluid, de-icer and is also found in your personal care products. It causes nausea, headache and central nervous system issues. It also dries out skin and cause rashes. This is harmful when inhaled.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) or Triethanolamine (TEA) – This is a very common ingredient found in personal care products that induces liver and kidney cancers. It also stays in the fat of the brain, liver, kidneys and spleen if used often. Even though the FDA advised cosmetic companies to stop using this chemical, it is still one of the most used carcinogens.
- Triclosan – This antibiotic chemical is used in antibacterial soaps and detergents. It is even in facial tissues, toothpaste, and clothing. This is linked to hormone disruption and the rise of the “Superbug” (flesh-eating disease). Doesn’t that sound fun? This chemical also build up in the system and harms the environment.
- Fragrances – Run far away from anything containing fragrances! When you see “fragrance” on a label this can include a number of chemicals (3,000 different ones)! By using fragrances you are at risk for allergies to smells, neurotoxic effects, cancer, and more (since fragrance range from formaldehyde to toluene you can’t be sure what it will cause…). “Unfortunately, there is no regulation in the fragrance industry, even though chemicals in perfume are as damaging to health as tobacco smoke (pg. 22).” You might as well be smoking a cigarette when you spray that perfume on your neck.
- Phthalates – This solvent feminizes boys and has a negative impact on the male reproductive system. DaVita says: “A study of New York City students presented online by Scientific American on January, 2010 found that phthalate exposure was linked to behavioral problems [in children exposed to phthalates in the womb].”
- Parabens – These are preservatives used in cleaners and beauty products. They can cause cancer, asthma, and are estrogen-mimicking. They also cause skin issues (that must be why they put it in our lotions…?).
- Toluene – I got rid of my nail polish right away (about 100 bottles!) when I heard about these shocking statistics. DaVita says it is “designated as a hazardous waste by the EPA…. It has been shown to cause cancer and nervous system damage. It is also an endocrine disruptor. Toluene is a potent neurotoxicant that acts as an irritant, impairs breathing and causes nausea. Mother’s exposure to toluene vapors during pregnancy may cause developmental damage in the fetus.” You’re going to increase your risk of cancer and damage your baby’s brain so that you can have pretty nails?!
“Only 11% of 10,500 chemicals used in your cosmetics have been tested for safety!!!” – pg.23
When you are putting these toxins in your skin they are going right into your bloodstream. Why do you still use them?
Do you have headaches, unexplained pains, hormonal issues, children with behavioral issues, nervous system damage, allergies, asthma, or anxiety? Ditch the chemicals! You’re killing yourself all to look pretty!
Don’t wait until you get cancer to make a change in the products you are using. By then it might be too late…. Learn to read labels. Throw out the crap you are using now.
I spent 2 years looking for a company I could trust that used real ingredients and put the customer first. I spent countless dollars on buying “healthy” products and then realizing that it had a harmful chemical in it. I can fully trust that Young Living will never use harmful ingredients and that I don’t need to read every label (although I still do). I can use their shampoo, lotion, deodorant, toothpaste, and makeup without having to worry if I am going to harm my body or develop cancer. The fear is gone and it’s a wonderful feeling!
Need to know what to use once you throw out all your current garbage? Young Livings Lavender Mint shampoo is amazing and leaves out the SLS. Your hair is free to grow! Their deodorant makes you smell like a fresh mountain (it’s a thing…). I love their Savvy Minerals makeup line! I can’t say enough good things about it. This is the cleanest, safest makeup I have ever used and I will always use it. I also really like their anti-aging products. Lastly, check out their cleaning supplies. I know it’s not a beauty product, but still. Ditch it!