We already know that there are harmful toxins in our beauty supplies, cleaning supplies, and even toothpaste, but did you know that there are toxins in your water as well? Unfortunately we are at risk for some serious problems because of the toxins that are hiding in our water.
What is Really in Our Water?
- Fluoride – Unfortunately fluoride is not as safe as we may think. Yes, it may benefit the teeth but it is also a neurotoxin and endocrine disruptor. 1 It may also be toxic to the thyroid, weaken skeletal health, harm fertility, and more. I personally would rather have a brain that works than shiny teeth.
- Chlorine – This chemical is used to clean with. It is a disinfectant so it is used in swimming pools, in daycares and in our workplaces. It is also added to our water to help it “purify”. “Chlorine is a reactive chemical that bonds with water, including the water in your gut, to produce poisonous hydrochloric acid. Chlorine exposure can cause respiratory problems and damage cells. Long term effects include memory loss and impaired balance.” 1
- Lead – Lead is an insanely toxic metal and is toxic to almost every major organ in the body. It also severely affects children. It can cause behavioral problems, developmental issues, and brain damage. If a pregnant woman ingests lead it can also cause premature birth. It has also been linked to prostate cancer and autism. 1 2
- Arsenic – This ends up in our water due to improper waste disposal… but why are we using it anyway? It is so toxic that it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death. When exposed for long periods of time it can cause different kinds of cancers including skin, lung, and bladder cancers. 1
- Perchlorate – This chemical comes from rocket fuels and explosives. It gets into our water by seeping into the groundwater. This problem is so severe that almost all people have some levels of perchlorate in them which attacks the thyroid. 1
- Atrazine – This is the second most used herbicide in America. This seeps into our groundwater which ends up in our water supply usually in high amounts. It is an endocrine disruptor, neurotoxin, and has been linked to birth defects.
These are just a few of the chemicals found in our water today! This is something to take very seriously. More than one of the chemicals above caused cancers and death. Just because you are told that our water is safe, doesn’t mean it’s true.
What are you to do? Invest in the Berkey water filter! This is my favorite one and why I love it!