Did you know that there are toxic chemicals lurking in your toothpaste? At the beginning of the week I did a review of my favorite all natural toothpaste. But why do I use an all natural toothpaste?
Dr. Mercola makes a stunning, scary fact about our mouths: “Your mouth is actually one of the most absorbent places in your entire body.” So this means that some of the things we are putting into our mouths are being absorbed into our blood streams even if we don’t swallow it.
He also states that the average American uses 20 gallons of toothpaste in their lifetime. Toxic toothpaste… ewww!
Here are some common ingredients found in toothpaste:
- Triclosan – this is an antibacterial found commonly in hand soap (which has just been banned). This chemical is an endocrine disruptor which means it messes with our hormones and can cause a number of issues including breast cancer, testicular cancer, low birth weight. Dr. Mercola also states that it may cause fetal bone malformations. This stuff is disgusting. 1
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – In my post Your Looks are Killing you, I state that “This chemical causes a foaming action in your shampoo and soap [and toothpaste!]. It may cause inflammation, mimic estrogen, cause hair loss and “build up in the heart, liver, lungs, and brain.” What?! It also causes eye issues in children and adults (like cataracts).” I would rather have toothpaste that doesn’t foam.
- Fluoride – While this is controversial, I have decided to avoid fluoride. There have just been too many studies proving that it is detrimental to our health. Mercola states “the science clearly demonstrates that fluoride is a toxic chemical that accumulates in your tissues over time, wreaks havoc with enzymes, and produces a number of serious adverse health effects, including neurological and endocrine dysfunction.” There are other ways to strengthen your teeth… fluoride is not necessary.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) – This chemical is a known endocrine disruptor and has been linked to “cancers of the stomach, esophagus, liver, and bladder.” 1 EWG.com scored this a 10… which is the worst rating a chemical can get! If anything is scored above a 3, I ditch it.
- Parabens – “These are preservatives used in cleaners, beauty products, and toothpastes. They can cause cancer, asthma, and are estrogen-mimicking. They also cause skin issues”. – Your Looks are Killing you. Do you want to swallow cancer causing chemicals? I think not.
So now what?
Are you going to ditch your toothpaste?
- Mercola – Toxic Toothpaste Ingredients