Did you know that the average American drinks 44.7 gallons of soda per YEAR?! These sodas are full of sugar and artificial flavors and sweeteners. The chemicals found in soda have been shown to cause seizures, high blood pressure, tooth decay, and sometimes cancer! Yet we still drink it….
Here are some other reasons why you should stop drinking soda!
- HUGE amounts of sugar – When my husband was a Mountain Dew addict, I put all of the sugar he was drinking in one bottle of Mountain Dew and put it on a plate. I couldn’t even believe the mountain (see what I did there?) of sugar I ended up with! “This amount of sugar, especially in liquid form, skyrockets the blood sugar and causes an insulin reaction in the body. Over time, this can lead to diabetes or insulin resistance, not to mention weight gain and other health problems.” 1
- Artificial sweeteners – Think that switching to diet soda is healthier for you? Think again! “It has been linked to almost a hundred different health problems including seizures, multiple sclerosis, brain tumors, diabetes, and emotional disorders.” They can also increase belly fat! 1 “Consuming two or more cans a day [of diet soda] increased waistlines by 500% greater than those who do not consume diet soda.” 2
- Soda is super high in calories – and it has no health benefit whatsoever. When you’re drinking a super high calorie sugary drink, that is going right to your belly! “It would take the average adult over one hour of walking to burn off the 240 calories in a 20-ounce soda.” 2
- Caffeine – We all know Caffeine is not something we should be drinking on a daily basis. Caffeine has been linked to irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, and some cancers. 1
- It is dehydrating – Because of all the sugar and caffeine, soda dehydrates our cells which makes it harder for them to take in nutrients. This can also lead to chronic dehydration. When you’re thirsty, soda is not going to fix it. It will leave you wanting more! 1 2
- It’s horrible for teeth – I once saw a documentary where these people followed around a guy that drank soda every single day for his whole life… and his teeth were horrendous! “Drinking soda regularly causes plaque to build up on the teeth and can lead to cavities and gum disease.” 1
I know it can be hard to give up soda… but now is the time! Soda is the worst thing you can drink! What can you replace it with?
Kombucha is a fermented tea. Don’t worry! If you don’t like tea, it doesn’t taste like tea.
Kombucha has been shown to have tons of health benefits, plus it is amazing for the stomach! It also has a super low amount of sugar, but still has a bubbly, sweet taste. Plus you can make it yourself!
Kombucha doesn’t taste exactly like soda (none of these option do… which is the point). It’s still bubbly but it does have a slight vinegar, sour taste because of the fermentation.
My husband is ditching soda and kombucha is the only thing that keeps him on track!
I know this sounds gross, but trust me on this!
Kefir water is not a fermented milk (liquid yogurt) like regular kefir. It doesn’t have the vinegary flavor like kombucha and you can still make it yourself!
It has tons of health benefits (of course!) and is bubbly and slightly sweet.
I personally like this better than kombucha because it doesn’t have a strong sour taste, and you can make batches of this stuff super easy and super quick. It only takes 24 hours to make kefir water and it takes about a week to make kombucha.
Obviously this isn’t going to have bubbly goodness (unless you use sparkling water or club soda), but it’s great for you and is super cheap and yummy!
I love using a water bottle with an infuser in it so that I can let let my fruit sit in my water overnight to get it all nice and fruity and then I can drink the water without choking on fruit pieces… obviously a big plus.
Essential Oil Water
You know I had to say it… You can actually make some soda flavored water using essential oils.
Plus essential oils benefit the systems of the body and taste great! You can add any essential oils to sparkling water to make it taste wonderful!
Here’s a recipe to make your own cola using essential oils! How cool is this?!
See?! It’s totally possible to ditch that yucky soda, and drink some amazing alternatives! Are you going to stop drinking soda today? Let me know in the comments below!